Level 1B is a one-day certification course that certifies an individual’s ability to properly monitor and conduct Quality Control / Quality Assurance testing for the placement of asphaltic mixes on the roadway in accordance with TxDOT Test Procedures and Specifications. There is no demonstration or training; individuals must come prepared to pass both a written and practical examination.
Test Procedures covered:
Click on link to view test procedure:
- Tex-207-F, Determining Density of Compacted Bituminous Mixtures (Parts 3,4,5 & 7) || Quick Facts
- Tex-222-F, Sampling Bituminous Mixtures. || Quick Facts
- Tex-225-F, Random Selection of Bituminous Mixture Samples (Part 2) || Quick Facts
- Tex-244-F, Thermal Profile of Hot Mix Asphalt || Quick Facts
- Tex-246-F, Permeability of Water Flow of Hot Mix Asphalt || Quick Facts
- Tex-251-F Obtaining and Trimming Cores of Bituminous Mixtures || Quick Facts
- Tex-500-C Sampling Bituminous Materials, Pre-molded Joint Fillers and Joint Sealers (Part 1, 2, 3 & 9) || Quick Facts
Level 1B Roadway Specialist are required to re-certify every three years by attending a one-day certification course.
Specialist can re-certify up to one year prior to the expiration date. If certification expires the specialist may not perform any Level 1B responsibilities on a TxDOT project.
The Level 1B Training classes will be two-days in length and focus on providing a basic understanding and knowledge of the TxDOT Test Procedures and Specifications. These classes are not pre-requisites to any certification class and participants will not earn certification.