Level 1A is a one-day certification course that certifies an individual’s ability to test hot mix asphalt produced at the plant in accordance with TxDOT Test Procedures and Specifications. There is no demonstration or training; individuals must come prepared to pass both a written and practical examination.
Test Procedures covered:
Click on link to view test procedure:
- Tex-200-F, Sieve Analysis of Fine and Coarse Aggregates (Parts 1 & 2)
- Tex- 204-F, Design of Bituminous Mixtures (VMA Calculation Only)
- Tex-206-F, Compacting Specimens using the Texas Gyratory Press (Part 1)
- Tex-207-F, Determining Density of Compacted Bituminous Mixtures (Parts 1, 6 and 8)
- Tex-212-F, Determining Moisture Content of Bituminous Mixtures (Part 2)
- Tex-221-F, Sampling Aggregate for Bituminous Mixtures, Surface Treatments and LRA
- Tex-222-F, Sampling Bituminous Mixtures
- Tex-225-F Random Selection of Bituminous Mixture Samples (Part 1)
- Tex-226-F Indirect Tensile Strength Test
- Tex-227-F Theoretical Maximum Specific Gravity of Bituminous Mixtures (Part 2)
- Tex-233-F Preparing Control Charts for Asphaltic Concrete Paving Projects
- Tex-235-F ProcedureTex-235-F Determining Draindown Characteristics in Bituminous Mixtures
- Tex-236-F Determining Asphalt Content from the Asphalt Paving Mixtures by Ignition Method (Part 1)
- Tex-241-F Superpave Gyratory Compacting of Test Specimens of Bituminous Mixtures
- Tex-242-F Hamburg Wheel-Tracking Test
- Tex-245-F Cantabro Loss
- Tex-251-F Obtaining and Trimming Cores of Bituminous Mixtures
- Tex-500-C Sampling Bituminous Materials, Pre-molded Joint Fillers and Joint Sealers (Part 1, 2, 3 & 9)
- Tex-530-C Effect of Water on Bituminous Paving Mixtures
Level 1A Plant Production Specialists are required to re-certify every three years by attending a one-day certification course.
Specialist can re-certify up to one year prior to the expiration date. If certification expires the specialist may not perform any Level 1A responsibilities on a TxDOT project. If Level 1A certification expires and the Specialist is Level 2 certified the Level 2 certification will also be inactive.
The Level 1A Training classes will be three-days in length and focus on providing a basic understanding and knowledge of the TxDOT Test Procedures and Specifications. These classes are not pre-requisites to any certification class and participants will not earn certification.
Federally Mandated Annual Proficiency
The Texas Department of Transportation requires all Level 1A Specialist to participate in an Annual Proficiency Program. Participation in this program is MANDATORY. Failure to participate will result in certification revocation.