SB 101 Materials Properties Specialist
Upon completion, a SB 101 Materials Properties Specialist should be able to properly sample and test soils and flexible base properties in accordance with TxDOT Test Procedures.
SB 101 Materials Properties Specialist certification is a one-day certification course. There is no demonstration or training; individuals must come prepared to pass both a written and practical examination.
The SB101 Training classes will be two-days in length and focus on providing a basic understanding and knowledge of the TxDOT Test Procedures and Specifications. These classes are not pre-requisites to any certification class and participants will not earn certification.
Test Procedures covered:
Click on link to view test procedure:
- Tex-100-E Surveying and Sampling Soils for Highways
- Tex-101-E Preparing Soil and Flexible Base Material for Testing (Parts I & II)
- Tex-102-E Determining Slaking Time
- Tex-103-E Determining Moisture Content in Soil Materials
- Tex-104-E Determining Liquid Limits of Soils
- Tex-105-E Determining Plastic Limit of Soils
- Tex-106-E Calculating the Plasticity Index of Soils
- Tex-107-E Determining the Bar Linear Shrinkage of Soils
- Tex-110-E Particle Size Analysis of Soils (Part I)
- Tex-116-E Ball Mill Method for Determining the Disintegration of Flexible Base Material
- Tex-142-E Laboratory Classification of Soils for Engineering Purposes
- Tex-400-A, Sampling Flexible Base, Stone, Gravel, Sand and Mineral Aggregates
- Tex-600-J Sampling and Testing Lime (Part I)
Every three (3) years all SB101 Properties Specialists are required to re-certify. The re-certification course is a one day course offered throughout the year at the HMAC. An SB101 Properties Specialist seeking re-certification can register for the course online.
A Specialist can attend a re-certification class up to one year prior to the expiration date. If certification expires, Specialists will lose certification and be required to attend the SB101 Training Course.
Federally Mandated Annual Proficiency
The Texas Department of Transportation requires all SB101 Properties Specialists to participate in an Annual Proficiency Program. Participation in the Proficiency Program is MANDATORY. Failure to participate will result in inactive certification.